Few people are really very good at the art of conversation and it can be difficult to know which questions you should ask on a first date to keep the conversation going.
A first date is not a job interview so avoid questions to do with money, previous relationships and ‘prospects’ (eg where will you be in 5 years). So many dating tips sites suggest you delve into their relationship past but this is not a fun way to get to know someone, first dates should be fun so try to keep it that way and don’t make your date feel uncomfortable.
Also avoid closed questions, where only a yes or no answer is appropriate or where you are obviously looking for a certain answer. An example would be changing the question “do you prefer sun or snow holidays” to “what sort of holiday do you prefer”.
Try to stick to open questions that allow your date to speak freely, believe me you will learn more about them this way.
Here are 10 questions that would be appropriate and fun for a first date:
1. Have you ever read a book or watched a movie that has changed your outlook on life?
2. Where is the best place you have been and why was it the best?
3. What would you do if you won the lottery jackpot?
4. If you could have a superpower what superpower would you choose?
5. How would you like to change your lifestyle if you could?
6. If you could invent a new dish for a restaurant what would it be?
7. What made the worst kiss you’ve ever had the worst?
8. What’s your favourite hobby/activity and why?
9. Are there any causes in life you are passionate about?
10. What’s the funniest joke you’ve ever heard?